- 1 (19 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
1. Mix the garbanzo beans in a food processor. Add in the onion, garlic, cilantro, parsley cumin, turmeric, baking powder, bread crumbs, salt and pepper.
2. Shape the mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls; you should get 18 to 24. If the mixture does not hold together, add a little water.
3. Heat the oil in a frying pan. Carefully drop the balls into the hot oil, and fry until brown. Be sure to turn frequently so they brown evenly.
Alternately, I have put these in a shallow dish with oil and placed in the oven under broil, turning on occasion.
Enjoy with hummus and homemade pitas!