1/4 cup yogurt
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon honey
4 cups vegetable oil
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup corn starch
1/4 cup sesame seeds (optional)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup seltzer, at room temperature
1 pound asparagus
1. In a small bowl stir together first four ingredients for the dip. Set in fridge
2. In a large saucepan heat the oil over medium-high until it registers at 375 F on a deep fry thermometer*
3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl mix together the first five ingredients for the batter. Whisk in the seltzer until smooth.
4. Add the asparagus to the batter and turn to coat.
5. Transferring one piece at a time add about one quarter of the asparagus to the hot oil and cook, turning, until golden and crisp.
Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining asparagus.
6. Serve hot with dipping sauce.
* I don't own a thermometer, so I guessed. It worked fine that way :)
REVIEW: I followed this recipe and quantities for a meal for the two of us ... it was WAY TOO MUCH food. Absolutely delicious tho!! Paul thinks it's the best tempura he's ever had, and it was the first time I've ever made it.