Saturday, April 12, 2008

Sliced Steak Gyros


2 pounds 1 inch thick sirloin steak (I just used some left over steak from earlier in the week... I don't know what it was. I think chicken would work well too.)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
_
Dip

1 cup crumbled feta cheese
3/4 cup Greek-style yogurt (I just used reg plain yogurt)
Juice of one lemon (I used lemon juice from the bottle)
1 clove garlic
Oregano - a generous sprinkle
Cumin - a generous sprinkle
Coriander - a generous sprinkle
2 dashes hot sauce (very small dashes)
Salt and pepper - a dash
_

4 large pitas or other flatbread

Toppings
Red Onion
Cucumber
Tomato
Olives


1. Preheat the broiler or grill to medium. Drizzle the steak with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and cook to how you like it done. Let cool then slice thinly.

2. While the steak is cooking, using a food processor, puree all the ingredients for the dip. Transfer to a bowl and set aside, in the fridge if you'll be awhile.

3. Char the pitas under the broiler or on the grill. Top with the steak and your choice of toppings. Serve with yogurt sauce.

REVIEW: AMAZING!! The flavor of this is incredible! It is easy to make and is so, so GOOD! It is going to become a commonly used recipe now :)
I did follow the above quantities exactly and it made a TON of dip, so I would suggest half-ing or even quarter-ing the dip quantities for two people as I don't know how well it will save in the fridge and the feta is kind of expensive. Seriously tho, you must make this!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gyros, Jess?

I will be making this one, too. Eric and I love gyros -- I have never made them at home...but I'll try yours!

Thanks for sharing, and for your honest reviews about the quantities for 2 adults. That helps me gauge ingredients when buying -- so thanks for being so thorough!

Jeanie

Kristen said...

YUM!!! I love gyros! They are the best. Thanks for sharing!!

Nicole said...

I need to make this! I saved this site so I can easily find this recipe. Yum yum and yum!