Saturday, June 7, 2008

Finnish Pasties


Pastry
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup coconut oil (called for lard)
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vinegar
5 tablespoons cold water

- just before rolling it out I had to add a little bit of milk to it to make it roll-able!

Filling
3/4 lb ground beef
2 cups diced potatoes
1 cup diced carrots
1 celery stalk, diced
1/4 cup diced onion
1/4 teaspoon cumin*
1/2 teaspoon chili powder*
1/2 teaspoon salt*
dash of pepper*
2 tablespoons barbecue sauce**

* I added way more than it called for, and I think it could've had way more added to it!
** The barbecue sauce didn't do a whole lot for it - it worked well in a meatloaf I made last week, but in this it didn't blend well, so I wouldn't add it again. I'm not sure what should replace it tho!

Directions:
1. Combine pastry ingredients. Chill dough.
2. Combine filling ingredients in another bowl.
3. Roll out dough into circles - I used a bowl to get my shape. Make sure it's rolled flat!
4. Put a bit of filling on one side of each circle - you don't want to over stuff them.
5. Fold over the other side of the dough circle over the filling.
6. Dip a fork in water and seal the edges by pushing the fork down. Cut away any extra dough.
7. Prick the top with the fork to let steam escape.
8. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375 F for about 40 minutes.

REVIEW:
Paul and I both loved this! I was impressed with the pastry dough - I wasn't sure how it would work using coconut oil instead of lard, but they turned out just fine.
As I noted above the BBQ sauce really didn't work, although it wasn't bad either. When I make it again I am going to be looking for something else to add.
I used about half the dough and made 5 pasties. Then I got lazy and decided not to finish making any more :) But I think there is more filling than there is dough, so you may want to cut down on the dough, or plan something else to do with the filling. I am trying to think of a way to make it into supper tonight :)

1 comment:

Di said...

This sounds really good!! Next week I'm making something similar I got off of yourhomecafe.com called Beef and Potato Pies.